January 30, 2011

Pray for Me!

OK, so I am feeling led to have month long focuses to help keep me on track for my pursuit of the disciplined life. The month of January was my detox, the month of February, I am feeling led to do prayer and March exercise. The thing about my prayer life is that it reflects my free undisciplined nature, 10 minutes here, 2 minutes there, a sentence here, a thought there, a request here, a thanks there. I do believe there is biblical backing for that 'style' of a prayer life. 1 Thessalonians 5:17
pray continually,

But I also believe the culture and climate that we are living in contributes to this distracted, disrupted mindset. With the technology of texting and social media, our communication is becoming short little bursts of thoughts and encouragements, etc.
So, I believe God put it on my heart to devote the month of February to prayer. And the first thing that came to my mind was to pray for an hour a day. Now, I don't know if I thought that because that is what my husband has been doing and he has been a great example and has been sharing about it. I don't know if I thought about that goal because that is what God wanted me to think. I don't know if I thought about that because it seems super challenging to me to pray an hour a day. It was one of those Ghostbusters moments, like, "Oh no, not the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man." So, I am praying about it.

I have identified that the reason praying for long periods of time for me is hard for me, is the boring factor. Again the repetitious discipline of anything is challenging to this Sanguine Person(ality). So, maybe a half hour of solid uninterrupted prayer combined with a half an hour "popcorn prayers" as I have heard them called. Either way, I am going to study out all the prayers of the Bible this month and books about prayer. The purpose of prayer, the power of prayer, passionate prayer, other 'p' words and prayer. :)
Anyhoo, I do believe the true key to my being 'Cleaner,Leaner,Greener without being Meaner' is this, my reliance on God for help with true, sustained change.

Pray for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment